Friday, September 25, 2009

Strawberry Scones...yayaya

{ready to go!!!} Don't judge me.....
But....I made scones for the *first* time today and they were delicious!!!! We had bought a flat of fresh strawberries at our farmer's market last night, and while eating them alone is fab. I got to thinking that eating them in a scone would un-doubt ably be superior...obvi! I have been dreaming of making my own scones forEVER (honestly...they're my fav), but I thought for some reason that I needed a mixer, and couldn't manage it with shear will power and a wooden spoon....but thankfully my previous judgments about the scone creation process were dis proved today!! Alright, alright.......let's get to the good stuff huh!?!?!?
{I found these amounts to make 8 mid sized scones}
Ingredients ::
2 cups all-purpose flower
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup cream....cold buttermilk or 1/2 and 1/2 (I used 1/2 and 1/2)
1 cup fresh strawberries (or any fresh or dried fruit)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 tablespoons butter, cubed and slightly softened
Directions ::
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees; lightly grease cookie sheet.
Cut fruit into smaller pieces, sprinkle with sugar and set aside.
Combine sugar, flower, baking powder and salt with the softened butter cubes. If using a mixer lightly mix (be sure not to over blend), I used my hand to gently mix the ingredients together breaking up the butter into the flower mix. Stir in fruit, then add the 1/2 and 1/2 (or other), all at once. Use spatula to gently stir mixture until it sticks together.
Turn onto a flowered surface and lightly kneed a few times to get ingredients to stick together. Be sure not to squish berries, or over work the dough...sprinkle with flower if it gets uber sticky!!
Press dough into circle about 3/4 of an inch thick, from there I used a knife to cut the circle into eighths....and used a spatula spreader to scoop pieces up and onto the cookie tray.
Bake 15 mins...sprinkle with sugar and bake another 5-10 more mins (it was 10 more for me).
Keep an eye on them in the last few mins. you don't want dry scones!!!
Sprinkling the sugar on the top in the last bit of cooking provides you with a pretty sparkly topping.
Happy eating ;-) I can't wait to enjoy one with my morn. coffee tomorrow!!!
:: peace and love ::
***My next batch....which may be tomorrow...I'm fully obsessed now..will contain eggs and vanilla extract! (stay tuned...I'll tell you which version I like best!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to it. YUMMMMMMM
Marme

Caitlin, Andrew, and Riley said...

did you make the second batch with the eggs and vanilla extract?